An individual may apply for doctoral studies if he/she meets the following conditions and has obtained written consent of a faculty member of the Hebrew University to supervise the doctoral research:
A. Holds a Master's degree with a thesis from the Hebrew University or from an institution of higher education in Israel, or from a non-Israeli institution of higher education, that is recognized by the Hebrew University, with the following grades:
Master's Degree – minimum grade 85;
Master's thesis – minimum grade of 85 (90 in Humanities);
Master's final exam (wherever applicable) – minimum grade 85
B. Candidates who have not yet completed all academic requirements for Master’s degree with a thesis (Conditional Acceptance track) and meet the following conditions:
1) Candidates who initiated the online admission process prior to March 1 2023, may submit their application for conditional acceptance if in their last year of Master’s degree with thesis program, at the Hebrew University, or at an institution of higher education in Israel, or at a non-Israeli institution of higher education, recognized by the Hebrew University, with a minimum average grade of 85.
2) Candidates who initiated the online admission process from March 1, 2023, may submit their application for conditional acceptance if they meet the following requirements:
In the Experimental Sciences – an intermediate average Master’s grade of at least 90, presentation of approval to submit a final thesis and presentation of confirmation of the scheduled date for the final exam (in institutions in which such exams are held).
In the Humanities and Social Sciences – presentation of confirmation for completion of the courses with an average grade of at least 90 at the time of submitting candidacy. Subject to the decision concerning admission, the candidate shall be required to present confirmation of submission of the final thesis by the end of the first semester from the date of commencing the doctoral studies.
A decision on acceptance will be conditional. For detailed information on the admissions process in this track, please see the file Conditional Admission - Additional Information.pdf
C. A candidate who studied in the direct PhD track at the Hebrew University, must have successfully completed all the requirements of the track in the faculty to which he/she belongs.
- A doctoral committee may set a higher threshold than the minimum specified above and may require additional screening methods such as a personal interview or an examination.
- The doctoral committee may decide to accept only some of the candidates who meet the admission criteria.
- The decision to accept candidates for doctoral studies is within the purview of the doctoral committees and the Authority for Research Students.